Hiring a Birth or Postpartum Doula (or both) might seem like a luxury for a lot of expectant parents. And realistically for some it is!
But there are so many important reasons to hire a Doula.
- reduce cesarean rates
- less need for pain medication
- less use of Pitocin/Oxytocin
- more likely to rate their birth experience as positive
- helps reduce postpartum mood disorders
- improves breastfeeding success
So you might be thinking, these are all great reasons, but how do I swing it financially. Some suggestions are:
- ask your Doula about payment plans, most have a set up of an initial down payment and subsequent payments.
- scale back on unnecessary baby items, you'll be surprised at how few of the "must have" items that you don't really or ever use.
- ask friends and family for money towards a Doula fund, it will be money you will never regret spending.
Stats on doula benefits courtesy of: